Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Infectious And Parasitic Diseases 001-139 > Other Bacterial Diseases 030-041 > Other bacterial diseases 040-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 040.82
Toxic shock syndrome
- ICD-9-CM 040.82 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 040.82.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 040.82: 2014.
- A rare acute life-threatening systemic bacterial noncontagious illness caused by any of several related staphylococcal exotoxins. Tss characterised by high fever, hypotension, rash, multi-organ dysfunction, and cutaneous desquamation during the early convalescent period. The toxins affect the host immune system, causing an exuberant and pathological host inflammatory response. Laboratory findings consistent with tss include leukocytosis, elevated prothrombin time, hypoalbuminemia, hypocalcemia, and pyuria.
- A severe illness caused by infection with staphylococcus aureus and characterized by high fever of sudden onset, vomiting, diarrhea, and myalgia, followed by hypotension and in severe cases, shock; a sunburn-like rash with peeling of the skin, especially of the palms and soles, occurs during the acute phase.
- Syndrome characterized by high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, and skin rash; almost all cases have been related to an infection with toxin-producing staphylococcus aureus.
- Staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome
- Toxic shock syndrome due to methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection
- Toxic shock syndrome due to methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus
- Toxic shock syndrome due to MRSA
- Toxic shock syndrome due to MSSA
- Toxic shock syndrome due to other Staph
- Toxic shock syndrome due to Staphylococcus
- Use additional code to identify the organism
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 040.82:
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 040.82 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.