Home > 2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Diseases Of The Respiratory System 460-519 > Other Diseases Of Respiratory System 510-519 > Other diseases of lung 518-
2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 518.81
Acute respiratory failure
- Short description: Acute respiratry failure.
- ICD-9-CM 518.81 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2012 version of ICD-9-CM 518.81.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 518.81: 2013 2014.
- Life-threatening respiratory failure that develops rapidly. Causes include injury, sepsis, drug overdose, and pancreatitis. It manifests with dyspnea and cyanosis and may lead to cardiovascular shock.
- Respiratory function fails to maintain adequate oxygen supply and carbon dioxide removal.
- Acute hypercapnic respiratory failure
- Acute hypercapnic respiratory failure due to obstructive sleep apnea
- Acute hypercarbic respiratory failure secondary to obstuctive sleep apnea
- Acute hypoxemic respiratory failure
- Acute respiratory failure from obstuctive sleep apnea
- Alveolar hypoventilation
- Hypercapnic respiratory failure
- Hypoxemic respiratory failure
- Postprocedural respiratory failure
- Respiratory failure
- Respiratory failure NOS
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 518.81:
- Failure, failed
- Respiratory - see also condition
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 518.81 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2012 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.