Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Mental Disorders 290-319 > Organic Psychotic Conditions 290-294 > Persistent mental disorders due to conditions classified elsewhere 294-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 294.1
Dementia in conditions classified elsewhere
- There are 2 ICD-9-CM codes below 294.1 that define this diagnosis in greater detail. Do not use this code on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 294.1.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 294.1: 2014.
- A disabling degenerative disease of the nervous system occurring in middle-aged or older persons and characterized by dementia and failure of memory for recent events, followed by total incapacitation and death. Types of the alzheimer syndrome are differentiated by the age of onset and genetic characteristics. The early onset form (the mean age of the onset of symptoms between the ages of 40 and 60 years) and the late onset form (the onset of symptoms after the age of 60 years). Three forms are identified: ad-1, ad-2, ad-3. Some of the clinical characteristics of the alzheimer syndrome are similar to those of the pick syndrome.
- A progressive, neurodegenerative disease characterized by loss of function and death of nerve cells in several areas of the brain leading to loss of cognitive function such as memory and language.
- Neurodegenerative disorder of the cns resulting in progressive loss of memory and intellectual functions; begins in the middle or later years; characterized by brain lesions such as neurofibrillary tangles and neuritic plaques.
- Dementia of the Alzheimer's type
- Code first any underlying physical condition as:
- Alzheimer's disease (331.0)
- cerebral lipidoses (330.1)
- dementia with Lewy bodies (331.82)
- dementia with Parkinsonism (331.82)
- epilepsy (345.0-345.9)
- frontal dementia (331.19)
- frontotemporal dementia (331.19)
- general paresis [syphilis] (094.1)
- hepatolenticular degeneration (275.1)
- Huntington's chorea (333.4)
- Jakob-Creutzfeldt disease (046.11-046.19)
- multiple sclerosis (340)
- Parkinson's disease (332.0)
- Pick's disease of the brain (331.11)
- polyarteritis nodosa (446.0)
- syphilis (094.1)
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 294.1 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.