Home > 2011 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Injury And Poisoning 800-999 > Certain Traumatic Complications And Unspecified Injuries 958-959 > Injury other and unspecified 959-
2011 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 959.01
Other and unspecified injury to head
- Short description: Head injury NOS.
- ICD-9-CM 959.01 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2011 version of ICD-9-CM 959.01.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 959.01: 2012 2013 2014.
- A traumatic injury to the head.
- Chances are you've bumped your head before. Usually, the injury is minor because your skull is hard and it protects your brain. But other head injuries can be more severe, such as a skull fracture, concussion, or traumatic brain injury.head injuries can be open or closed. A closed injury does not break through the skull. With an open, or penetrating, injury, an object pierces the skull and enters brain tissue. Closed injuries are not always less severe than open injuries.some common causes of head injuries are falls, motor vehicle accidents, violence, and sports injuries.it is important to know the warning signs of a moderate or severe head injury. Get help immediately if the injured person has
- a headache that gets worse or does not go away
- repeated vomiting or nausea
- convulsions or seizures
- an inability to wake up
- dilation of one or both pupils of the eyes
- slurred speech
- weakness or numbness in the arms or legs
- loss of coordination
- increased confusion, restlessness, or agitation
- Traumatic injuries involving the cranium and intracranial structures (i.e., brain; cranial nerves; meninges; and other structures). Injuries may be classified by whether or not the skull is penetrated (i.e., penetrating vs. Nonpenetrating) or whether there is an associated hemorrhage.
- Calcified haematoma of head
- Calcified hematoma of head (disorder)
- Cerebral trauma
- Closed head injury
- Closed injury of head
- Dementia due to head trauma
- Dementia due to head trauma w behavioral disturbance
- Dementia due to head trauma with behavioral disturbance
- Dementia due to head trauma without behavioral disturbance
- Dementia due to head trauma wo behavioral disturbance
- Head injury
- Head trauma
- Hematoma, cephalic, calcified
- Injury of head
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 959.01:
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 959.01 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2011 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.