2014 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 053.9
Herpes zoster without mention of complication
- Short description: Herpes zoster NOS.
- ICD-9-CM 053.9 will be replaced by an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes) when the United States transitions from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on October 1, 2015.
- ICD-9-CM 053.9 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- Herpes zoster
- Herpes zoster (shingles)
- A common dermal and neurologic disorder caused by reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus that has remained dormant within dorsal root ganglia, often for decades, after the patient's initial exposure to the virus in the form of varicella (chickenpox). It is characterized by severe neuralgic pain along the distribution of the affected nerve and crops of clustered vesicles over the area.
- Acute infectious, usually self-limited, disease believed to represent activation of latent varicella zoster virus in those who have been rendered partially immune after a previous attack of chickenpox; it involves the sensory ganglia and their areas of innervation and is characterized by severe neuralgic pain along the distribution of the affected nerve and crops of clustered vesicles over the area.
Convert to ICD-10-CM
converts directly to:
- 2014 ICD-10-CM B02.9 Zoster without complications