Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Diseases Of The Musculoskeletal System And Connective Tissue 710-739 > Arthropathies And Related Disorders 710-719 > Diffuse diseases of connective tissue 710-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 710.4
- ICD-9-CM 710.4 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 710.4.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 710.4: 2014.
- An idiopathic inflammatory disorder affecting the muscles. It presents with symmetrical proximal muscle weakness and elevated skeletal muscle enzymes.
- An inflammatory disease of the muscles closest to the center of the body. It causes weakness, inability to stand, climb stairs, lift, or reach. It may also cause muscle pain and difficulty swallowing, and may affect the lungs and heart. Having polymyositis increases the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Diseases characterized by inflammation involving multiple muscles. This may occur as an acute or chronic condition associated with medication toxicity (drug toxicity); connective tissue diseases; infections; malignant neoplasms; and other disorders. The term polymyositis is frequently used to refer to a specific clinical entity characterized by subacute or slowly progressing symmetrical weakness primarily affecting the proximal limb and trunk muscles. The illness may occur at any age, but is most frequent in the fourth to sixth decade of life. Weakness of pharyngeal and laryngeal muscles, interstitial lung disease, and inflammation of the myocardium may also occur. Muscle biopsy reveals widespread destruction of segments of muscle fibers and an inflammatory cellular response. (Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp1404-9)
- Inflammation of a number of voluntary muscles simultaneously.
- Polymyositis w myopathy
- Polymyositis w pulmonary involvement
- Polymyositis with myopathy
- Polymyositis with pulmonary involvement
- Polymyositis with unspecified organ involvement
- Polymyositis, organ involvement unspecified
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 710.4:
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 710.4 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.