Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Endocrine, Nutritional And Metabolic Diseases, And Immunity Disorders 240-279 > Other Metabolic Disorders And Immunity Disorders 270-279 > Other and unspecified disorders of metabolism 277-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 277.88
Tumor lysis syndrome
- ICD-9-CM 277.88 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 277.88.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 277.88: 2014.
- A condition of metabolic abnormalities that result from a spontaneous or therapy-related cytolysis of tumor cells. Tumor lysis syndrome typically occurs in aggressive, rapidly proliferating lymphoproliferative disorders. Burkitt lymphoma and t cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia are commonly associated with this syndrome. Metabolic abnormalities include hyperuricemia, lactic acidosis, hyperkalemia, hyperphosphatemia and hypocalcemia and may result in renal failure, multiple organ failure, and death.
- A condition that can occur after treatment of a fast-growing cancer, especially certain leukemias and lymphomas (cancers of the blood). As tumor cells die, they break apart and release their contents into the blood. This causes a change in certain chemicals in the blood, which may cause damage to organs, including the kidneys, heart, and liver.
- A disorder characterized by metabolic abnormalities that result from a spontaneous or therapy-related cytolysis of tumor cells.
- A syndrome resulting from cytotoxic therapy, occurring generally in aggressive, rapidly proliferating lymphoproliferative disorders. It is characterized by combinations of hyperuricemia, lactic acidosis, hyperkalemia, hyperphosphatemia and hypocalcemia.
- Spontaneous tumor lysis syndrome
- Tumor lysis syndrome following antineoplastic drug therapy
- Use additional E code to identify cause, if drug-induced
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 277.88:
- Syndrome - see also Disease
- tumor lysis (following antineoplastic drug therapy) (spontaneous) 277.88
- Tumor (M8000/1) - see also Neoplasm, by site, unspecified nature
- lysis syndrome (following antineoplastic drug therapy) (spontaneous) 277.88
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 277.88 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.