2014 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 277.88
Tumor lysis syndrome
- ICD-9-CM 277.88 will be replaced by an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes) when the United States transitions from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on October 1, 2015.
- ICD-9-CM 277.88 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- A condition of metabolic abnormalities that result from a spontaneous or therapy-related cytolysis of tumor cells. Tumor lysis syndrome typically occurs in aggressive, rapidly proliferating lymphoproliferative disorders. Burkitt lymphoma and t cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia are commonly associated with this syndrome. Metabolic abnormalities include hyperuricemia, lactic acidosis, hyperkalemia, hyperphosphatemia and hypocalcemia and may result in renal failure, multiple organ failure, and death.
- A condition that can occur after treatment of a fast-growing cancer, especially certain leukemias and lymphomas (cancers of the blood). As tumor cells die, they break apart and release their contents into the blood. This causes a change in certain chemicals in the blood, which may cause damage to organs, including the kidneys, heart, and liver.
- A disorder characterized by metabolic abnormalities that result from a spontaneous or therapy-related cytolysis of tumor cells.
- A syndrome resulting from cytotoxic therapy, occurring generally in aggressive, rapidly proliferating lymphoproliferative disorders. It is characterized by combinations of hyperuricemia, lactic acidosis, hyperkalemia, hyperphosphatemia and hypocalcemia.
- Spontaneous tumor lysis syndrome
- Tumor lysis syndrome following antineoplastic drug therapy
- Use additional E code to identify cause, if drug-induced
Convert to ICD-10-CM
converts directly to:
- 2014 ICD-10-CM E88.3 Tumor lysis syndrome
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index
entries containing back-references to 277.88
- Syndrome - see also Disease
- tumor lysis (following antineoplastic drug therapy) (spontaneous) 277.88
- Tumor (M8000/1) - see also Neoplasm, by site, unspecified nature
- lysis syndrome (following antineoplastic drug therapy) (spontaneous) 277.88