2006 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 250.1
Diabetes with ketoacidosis
- complication of diabetes resulting from severe insulin deficiency coupled with an absolute or relative increase in glucagon concentration; metabolic acidosis is caused by the breakdown of adipose stores and resulting increased levels of free fatty acids; glucagon accelerates the oxidation of the free fatty acids producing excess ketone bodies (ketosis).
- A type of metabolic acidosis produced by accumulation of ketone bodies resulting from uncontrolled diabetes mellitus.
- The metabolic condition resulted from uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, in which the shift of acid-base status of the body toward the acid side because of loss of base or retention of acids other than carbonic acid is accompanied by the accumulation of ketone bodies in body tissues and fluids.
- There are 4 ICD-9-CM codes below 250.1 that define this diagnosis in greater detail. Do not use this code on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2006 version of ICD-9-CM 250.1.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 250.1: 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013.
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 250.1: