2014 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 250.1
Diabetes with ketoacidosis
- There are 4 ICD-9-CM codes below 250.1 that define this diagnosis in greater detail. Do not use this code on a reimbursement claim.
- A life-threatening complication of diabetes mellitus, primarily of type 1 diabetes mellitus with severe insulin deficiency and extreme hyperglycemia. It is characterized by ketosis; dehydration; and depressed consciousness leading to coma.
- A serious complication of diabetes mellitus
- A type of metabolic acidosis produced by accumulation of ketone bodies resulting from uncontrolled diabetes mellitus.
- Complication of diabetes resulting from severe insulin deficiency coupled with an absolute or relative increase in glucagon concentration; metabolic acidosis is caused by the breakdown of adipose stores and resulting increased levels of free fatty acids; glucagon accelerates the oxidation of the free fatty acids producing excess ketone bodies (ketosis).
- The metabolic condition resulted from uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, in which the shift of acid-base status of the body toward the acid side because of loss of base or retention of acids other than carbonic acid is accompanied by the accumulation of ketone bodies in body tissues and fluids.
- acidosis without mention of coma
- ketosis without mention of coma