2015 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 278.03
Obesity hypoventilation syndrome
- ICD-9-CM 278.03 will be replaced by an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes) when the United States transitions from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on October 1, 2015.
- ICD-9-CM 278.03 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- Extreme obesity with alveolar hypoventilation
- Pickwickian syndrome
- Hypoventilation syndrome in very obese persons with excessive adipose tissue around the abdomen and diaphragm. It is characterized by diminished to absent ventilatory chemoresponsiveness; chronic hypoxia; hypercapnia; polycythemia; and long periods of sleep during day and night (hypersomnolence). It is a condition often related to obstructive sleep apnea but can occur separately
Convert to ICD-10-CM
converts directly to:
- 2015 ICD-10-CM E66.2 Morbid (severe) obesity with alveolar hypoventilation