2014 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 779.7
- Short description: Perivent leukomalacia.
- ICD-9-CM 779.7 will be replaced by an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes) when the United States transitions from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on October 1, 2015.
- ICD-9-CM 779.7 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- Degeneration of white matter adjacent to the cerebral ventricles following cerebral hypoxia or brain ischemia in neonates. The condition primarily affects white matter in the perfusion zone between superficial and deep branches of the middle cerebral artery. Clinical manifestations include vision disorders; cerebral palsy; paraplegia; seizures; and cognitive disorders. (from Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p1021; Joynt, Clinical Neurology, 1997, ch4, pp30-1)
- Necrosis and softening of the white matter around the ventricles in the brain. It is usually seen in preterm infants and caused by lack of blood flow and oxygenation in the periventricular brain parenchyma.
Convert to ICD-10-CM
converts approximately to:
- 2014 ICD-10-CM P91.2 Neonatal cerebral leukomalacia
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index
entries containing back-references to 779.7
- Leukomalacia, periventricular 779.7
- Periventricular leukomalacia 779.7