2014 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 378.72
Progressive external ophthalmoplegia
- Short description: Prog ext ophthalmoplegia.
- ICD-9-CM 378.72 will be replaced by an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes) when the United States transitions from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on October 1, 2015.
- ICD-9-CM 378.72 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- A disorder characterized by slowly progressive paralysis of the external eye muscles
- A mitochondrial myopathy characterized by slowly progressive paralysis of the levator palpebrae, orbicularis oculi, and extraocular muscles. Ragged-red fibers and atrophy are found on muscle biopsy. Familial and sporadic forms may occur. Disease onset is usually in the first or second decade of life, and the illness slowly progresses until usually all ocular motility is lost. (from Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p1422)
Convert to ICD-10-CM
converts approximately to:
- 2014 ICD-10-CM H50.89 Other specified strabismus