2014 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 320.9
Meningitis due to unspecified bacterium
- Short description: Bacterial meningitis NOS.
- ICD-9-CM 320.9 will be replaced by an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes) when the United States transitions from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on October 1, 2015.
- ICD-9-CM 320.9 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- Bacterial meningitis
- Meningitis, bacterial
- Bacterial infections of the leptomeninges and subarachnoid space, frequently involving the cerebral cortex, cranial nerves, cerebral blood vessels, spinal cord and nerve roots; causative organism varies with age and clinical status (eg, postoperative, immunodeficient, posttraumatic states); clinical manifestations include the acute onset of fever, stiff neck, altered mentation, seizures, and focal neurologic deficits; death may occur within 24 hours of disease onset; pathologic features include a purulent exudate in the subarachnoid space, and diffuse inflammation of neural and vascular structures.
- Bacterial infections of the leptomeninges and subarachnoid space, frequently involving the cerebral cortex, cranial nerves, cerebral blood vessels, spinal cord, and nerve roots.
- bacterial NOS
- purulent NOS
- pyogenic NOS
- suppurative NOS
Convert to ICD-10-CM
converts approximately to:
- 2014 ICD-10-CM G00.9 Bacterial meningitis, unspecified
- 2014 ICD-10-CM G04.2 Bacterial meningoencephalitis and meningomyelitis, not elsewhere classified