2014 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 284.9
Aplastic anemia, unspecified
- Short description: Aplastic anemia NOS.
- ICD-9-CM 284.9 will be replaced by an equivalent ICD-10-CM code (or codes) when the United States transitions from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM on October 1, 2015.
- ICD-9-CM 284.9 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- Anemia, aplastic
- Aplastic anemia
- Aplastic anemia crisis
- Aplastic crisis
- Idiopathic aplastic anemia
- A condition in which the bone marrow is unable to produce blood cells.
- A form of anemia in which the bone marrow fails to produce adequate numbers of peripheral blood elements.
- Anemia associated with a fatty, hypocellular bone marrow and global dyshematopoiesis; can be idiopathic or due to microbial, metabolic, autoimmune, or other abnormality.
- Anemia resulting from bone marrow failure (aplastic or hypoplastic bone marrow). The production of erythroblasts and red cells is markedly decreased, and it may be associated with decreased production of granulocytes (granulocytopenia) and platelets (thrombocytopenia) as well. Aplastic anemia may be idiopathic or secondary due to bone marrow damage by toxins, radiation, or immunologic factors.
- Aplastic anemia is a rare but serious blood disorder. If you have it, your bone marrow doesn't make enough new blood cells. Causes include
in many people, the cause is unknown.your doctor will diagnose aplastic anemia based on your medical and family histories, a physical exam, and test results. Once your doctor knows the cause and severity of the condition, he or she can create a treatment plan for you. Treatments include blood transfusions, blood and marrow stem cell transplants, and medicines.
- being exposed to toxic substances, such as pesticides, arsenic, and benzene
- radiation therapy and chemotherapy for cancer
- certain medicines
- infections such as hepatitis, epstein-barr virus, or hiv
- autoimmune disorders
- certain inherited conditions
- aplastic (idiopathic) NOS
- hypoplastic NOS
- Medullary hypoplasia
Convert to ICD-10-CM
converts approximately to:
- 2014 ICD-10-CM D61.9 Aplastic anemia, unspecified