Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Diseases Of The Musculoskeletal System And Connective Tissue 710-739 > Osteopathies, Chondropathies, And Acquired Musculoskeletal Deformities 730-739 > Other disorders of bone and cartilage 733-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 733.0
- There are 5 ICD-9-CM codes below 733.0 that define this diagnosis in greater detail. Do not use this code on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 733.0.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 733.0: 2014.
- (oss-tee-oh-pa-row-sis) a condition that is characterized by a decrease in bone mass and density, causing bones to become fragile.
- A condition of reduced bone mass, with decreased cortical thickness and a decrease in the number and size of the trabeculae of cancellous bone (but normal chemical composition), resulting in increased fracture incidence. Osteoporosis is classified as primary (type 1, postmenopausal osteoporosis; type 2, age-associated osteoporosis; and idiopathic, which can affect juveniles, premenopausal women, and middle-aged men) and secondary osteoporosis (which results from an identifiable cause of bone mass loss).
- Loss of bone mass and strength due to nutritional, metabolic, or other factors, usually resulting in deformity or fracture; a major public health problem of the elderly, especially women.
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 733.0 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.