Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Diseases Of The Digestive System 520-579 > Other Diseases Of Digestive System 570-579 > Intestinal malabsorption 579-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 579.9
Unspecified intestinal malabsorption
- Short description: Intest malabsorption NOS.
- ICD-9-CM 579.9 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 579.9.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 579.9: 2014.
- A disorder characterized by inadequate absorption of nutrients in the small intestine. Symptoms include abdominal marked discomfort, bloating and diarrhea.
- A group of symptoms such as gas, bloating, abdominal pain, and diarrhea resulting from the body's inability to properly absorb nutrients.
- A syndrome resulting from the inadequate absorption of nutrients in the small intestine. Symptoms include abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea.
- General term for a group of malnutrition syndromes caused by failure of normal intestinal absorption of nutrients.
- Impaired absorption of nutrients in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Malabsorption: decreased absorption of fat and other nutrients caused by liver, biliary, pancreatic or intestinal disease. The 72-hour fecal fat determination is the best single test for mal- absorption.
- Your small intestine does most of the digesting of the foods you eat. If you have a malabsorption syndrome, your small intestine cannot absorb nutrients from foods.causes of malabsorption syndromes include
- celiac disease
- lactose intolerance
- short bowel syndrome, which happens after surgery to remove a large portion of the small intestine
- whipple disease, a rare bacterial infection
- genetic diseases
- certain medicines
- Adult osteomalacia due to malabsorption
- Intestinal malabsorption
- Malabsorption in the elderly
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Malabsorption, intestinal
- Malabsorption syndrome NOS
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 579.9:
- Disturbance - see also Disease
- absorption NEC 579.9
- assimilation, food 579.9
- Malabsorption 579.9
- calcium 579.8
- carbohydrate 579.8
- disaccharide 271.3
- drug-induced 579.8
- due to bacterial overgrowth 579.8
- fat 579.8
- folate, congenital 281.2
- galactose 271.1
- glucose-galactose (congenital) 271.3
- intestinal 579.9
- isomaltose 271.3
- lactose (hereditary) 271.3
- methionine 270.4
- monosaccharide 271.8
- postgastrectomy 579.3
- postsurgical 579.3
- protein 579.8
- sucrose (-isomaltose) (congenital) 271.3
- Malassimilation 579.9
- Syndrome - see also Disease
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 579.9 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.