Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Diseases Of The Nervous System And Sense Organs 320-389 > Disorders Of The Eye And Adnexa 360-379 > Disorders of optic nerve and visual pathways 377-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 377.3
- There are 6 ICD-9-CM codes below 377.3 that define this diagnosis in greater detail. Do not use this code on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 377.3.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 377.3: 2014.
- A disorder characterized by inflammation of the optic nerve. Causes include autoimmune disorders, infections, toxins, drugs, and multiple sclerosis. It may manifest with acute loss of vision and pain.
- Inflammation of the optic nerve. Commonly associated conditions include autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis, infections, and granulomatous diseases. Clinical features include retro-orbital pain that is aggravated by eye movement, loss of color vision, and contrast sensitivity that may progress to severe visual loss, an afferent pupillary defect (marcus-gunn pupil), and in some instances optic disc hyperemia and swelling. Inflammation may occur in the portion of the nerve within the globe (neuropapillitis or anterior optic neuritis) or the portion behind the globe (retrobulbar neuritis or posterior optic neuritis).
- Inflammation of the second cranial nerve or optic nerve; commonly associated conditions include autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis, infections, and granulomatous diseases.
- What: optic neuritis. Optic neuritis: the inflammation, degeneration, or demyelination of the optic nerve. Why: optic neuritis may be present in patients with sarcoidosis or reiter's syndrome (rarely). How: clinically, patients with optic neuritis present with sudden loss of central vision and pain on moving the eye. Opthalmoscopically there may be hyperemia of the optic disc and distention of the large retinal veins. At later stages the disk margins are blurred and may be slightly elevated simulating papilledema. Refs: vaugn, d and asbury, t: general ophthamology, 8th edition, 1977.
- meningococcal optic neuritis (036.81)
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 377.3 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.