Home > 2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Endocrine, Nutritional And Metabolic Diseases, And Immunity Disorders 240-279 > Other Metabolic Disorders And Immunity Disorders 270-279 > Disorders of fluid electrolyte and acid-base balance 276-
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 276.8
- ICD-9-CM 276.8 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2013 version of ICD-9-CM 276.8.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 276.8: 2014.
- A disorder characterized by laboratory test results that indicate a low concentration of potassium in the blood.
- Abnormally low potassium concentration in the blood. It may result from potassium loss by renal secretion or by the gastrointestinal route, as by vomiting or diarrhea. It may be manifested clinically by neuromuscular disorders ranging from weakness to paralysis, by electrocardiographic abnormalities (depression of the t wave and elevation of the u wave), by renal disease, and by gastrointestinal disorders. (Dorland, 27th ed)
- Abnormally low potassium concentration in the blood; may result from excessive potassium loss by the renal or gastrointestinal route, from decreased intake, or from transcellular shifts; manifested clinically by neuromuscular disorders ranging from weakness to paralysis, by electrocardiographic abnormalities, and by renal and gastrointestinal disorders.
- Condition due to decreased dietary intake of potassium, as in starvation or failure to administer in intravenous solutions, or to gastrointestinal loss; severe potassium deficiency may produce muscular weakness and lead to paralysis and respiratory failure; muscular malfunction may result in hypoventilation, paralytic ileus, hypotension, muscle twitches, tetany, and rhabomyolysis; nephropathy from potassium deficit impairs the concentrating mechanism.
- Hypokalemia; lower than normal levels of potassium in the circulating blood.
- Lower than normal levels of potassium in the circulating blood.
- Chronic hypokalemia
- Hypokalemia (low potassium level)
- Hypokalemia chronic
- Potassium [K] deficiency
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 276.8:
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 276.8 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2013 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.