Home > 2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Diseases Of The Digestive System 520-579 > Appendicitis 540-543 > Appendicitis, unqualified 541-
2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 541
- Short description: Appendicitis NOS.
- ICD-9-CM 541 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2012 version of ICD-9-CM 541.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 541: 2013 2014.
- Acute inflammation of the appendix. Acute appendicitis is classified as simple, gangrenous, or perforated.
- The appendix is a small, tube-like organ attached to the first part of the large intestine. It is located in the lower right part of the abdomen. It has no known function. A blockage inside of the appendix causes appendicitis. The blockage leads to increased pressure, problems with blood flow, and inflammation. If the blockage is not treated, the appendix can burst and spread infection into the abdomen. This causes a condition called peritonitis.the main symptom is pain in the abdomen, often on the right side. It is usually sudden gets worse over time. Other symptoms may include
- swelling in the abdomen
- loss of appetite
- nausea and vomiting
- constipation or diarrhea
- inability to pass gas
- low fever
Convert to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 541:
- Appendicitis 541
- acute (catarrhal) (fulminating) (gangrenous) (inflammatory) (obstructive) (retrocecal) (suppurative) 540.9
- amebic 006.8
- chronic (recurrent) 542
- exacerbation - see Appendicitis, acute
- fulminating - see Appendicitis, acute
- gangrenous - see Appendicitis, acute
- healed (obliterative) 542
- interval 542
- neurogenic 542
- obstructive 542
- pneumococcal 541
- recurrent 542
- relapsing 542
- retrocecal 541
- subacute (adhesive) 542
- subsiding 542
- suppurative - see Appendicitis, acute
- tuberculous (see also Tuberculosis) 014.8
- Inflammation, inflamed, inflammatory (with exudation)
- appendix (see also Appendicitis) 541
- cecum (see also Appendicitis) 541
- retrocecal (see also Appendicitis) 541
- Paratyphilitis (see also Appendicitis) 541
- Periappendicitis (acute) (see also Appendicitis) 541
- Perityphlitis (see also Appendicitis) 541
- Typhlitis (see also Appendicitis) 541
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 541 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2012 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.