Home > 2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes > Diseases Of The Nervous System And Sense Organs 320-389 > Pain 338-338 > Pain, not elsewhere classified 338-
2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 338.2
- There are 4 ICD-9-CM codes below 338.2 that define this diagnosis in greater detail. Do not use this code on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2012 version of ICD-9-CM 338.2.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 338.2: 2013 2014.
- Aching sensation that persists for more than a few months. It may or may not be associated with trauma or disease, and may persist after the initial injury has healed. Its localization, character, and timing are more vague than with acute pain.
- pain is a feeling set off in the nervous system. Acute pain lets you know that you may be injured or a have problem you need to take care of. Chronic pain is different. The pain signals go on for weeks, months, or even years. The original cause may have been an injury or infection. There may be an ongoing cause of pain, such as arthritis or cancer. But in some cases there is no clear cause.problems that cause chronic pain include
- low back strain
- pain from nerve damage
- Pain that can range from mild to severe, and persists or progresses over a long period of time.
- Pain that continues for longer than expected.
- Pain that persists over time
- Pain which has persisted over a long period of time; also use nts for specific types of pain if appropriate.
- Unpleasant sensory and emotional experience arising from actual or potential tissue damage or described in terms of such damage (international association for the study of pain); sudden or slow onset of any intensity from mild to severe, constant or recurring without an anticipated or predictable end and a duration of greater than 6 months
ICD-9-CM codes are used in medical billing and coding to describe diseases, injuries, symptoms and conditions. ICD-9-CM 338.2 is one of thousands of ICD-9-CM codes used in healthcare. Although ICD-9-CM and CPT codes are largely numeric, they differ in that CPT codes describe medical procedures and services. Can't find a code? Start at the root of ICD-9-CM, check the 2012 ICD-9-CM Index or use the search engine at the top of this page to lookup any code.