2010 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 304.9
Unspecified drug dependence
- state of heavy dependence on any drug, including alcohol; sometimes defined as physical dependence but usually also including emotional dependence, i.e., compulsive or pathological drug use.
- Physical and emotional dependence on a chemical substance. Compare DRUG DEPENDENCY.
- Psychological craving for or habituation to the use of a chemical substance which may or may not be accompanied by physical dependency. Used for animal or human populations. Compare DRUG ADDICTION.
- Drug dependence - replaced the term "drug addiction" and is defined as a state, psychic and sometimes also physical, resulting from the interaction between a living organism and a drug, characterized by behavioral and other responses that always include a compulsion to take the drug on a continuous or periodic basis in order to experience its psychic effects, and sometimes to avoid the discomfort of its absence. Tolerance may or may not be present. A person may be dependent on more than one drug.
- There are 4 ICD-9-CM codes below 304.9 that define this diagnosis in greater detail. Do not use this code on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2010 version of ICD-9-CM 304.9.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 304.9: 2011 2012 2013.
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 304.9: