2009 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 340
- chronic disease characterized by presence of numerous areas of demyelination in the central nervous system with symptoms such as weakness, incoordination, paresthesis, and speech disturbances; the etiology is unknown.
- A disorder of the central nervous system marked by weakness, numbness, a loss of muscle coordination, and problems with vision, speech, and bladder control. Multiple sclerosis is thought to be an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system destroys myelin. Myelin is a substance that contains both protein and fat (lipid), serving as a nerve insulator and helping in the transmission of nerve signals.
- ICD-9-CM 340 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
- You are viewing the 2009 version of ICD-9-CM 340.
- More recent version(s) of ICD-9-CM 340: 2010 2011 2012 2013.
340 Alternative Terminology
Convert 340 to ICD-10-CM
ICD-9-CM Volume 2 Index entries containing back-references to 340: